YEP -- I'M A NEAT FREAK!

I am a self-diagnosed neat freak. I love to clean and I love to organize. (If I could have a container, holder and/or label for EVERYTHING, my life would be complete!) And this is my brand new blog for everything NEAT!
I have a toddler in perpetual motion, a packrat daughter, a dog and a disorganized husband... and I hope to share the challenges, trials, errors, rewards and insights of being a bit "too clean obsessive" in a family that's not so in love with neatness. And I am making a promise to clean, rearrange, organize and simplify my life... and help you along the way! SO stay tuned for my journey toward everything orderly and efficient!



Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Day 77: Everyday Dishes

People always tell me that one of the worst disaster areas in their homes is their kitchen. Well, this is not hard for me to believe. After all, a lot of events take place in the kitchen... besides just cooking and eating! Kids do homework here. Crafts get spread all over the tables in this space. Random items get dumped on counters as folks walk in and out of the house. The kitchen is the epicenter of the home, so it makes perfect sense to me that this room is in need of some extra loving care when it comes to getting organized! So... I am going to do a few posts about my kitchen cabinets... where a lot of needed and necessary kitchen items may get "lost" or "hidden!"

So, let's talk about everyday dishes. These are the plates and bowls that your family uses everyday. We're not talking about the "nice" China. We're talking about the inexpensive set (or mismatched hand-me-down sets) that come in odd numbers and might or might not have a few cracks or chips. (I probably don't need to say this, but cracks and chips are dangerous. A few more trips in the dishwasher, and you might have a bloody finger... or lip! Consider saying "good riddance" to these items!)

Personally, I recommend keeping everyday items (yes, even the plastic character bowls and plates that my children use on a daily basis) together in one cabinet, if at all possible. Some might argue that all plates go together and all bowls should have their own space, but I find it much more practical to keep my sets together. It's better for setting the table and for emptying the dishwasher, since they all come from -- and go back to -- the same cabinet! Of course, I still keep all my plates and bowls stacked in nice, neat piles.


As you may see, I also like to use a little bit of decorating tips (like propping a taller serving platter or bowl behind the other items for a little interest) so my cabinets aren't an eyesore, should a random stranger or family member open it up for a peek! BUT... there's no magic to this. Just keep in mind: "a place for everything, and everything in its place!" This way, everything has a permanent home, and everyone knows it! You won't hear my hubby asking, "Where are the cereal bowls?"


Now, THAT's neat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your neat comment!